Thursday, May 04, 2006

Study Tech at work...

It's hard for us to imagine the difficulties that a college professor in Tanzania or Botswana or Mali faces compared to, say, a tenured professor in an American university. Yet they are trying, with very limited resources, to educate their students to be competent and able to excel in the modern world.

Applied Scholastics (developed by L. Ron Hubbard) is engaged in a broad program to teach African professors tools that they then use to more effectively educate their students. Here are two testimonials that express the hope and certainty that they achieve after completing only the first course in their program, called "Progressive Teaching Tools":

"I am excited to have completed my first course in the Applied Scholastics Master Training. I have attended several teacher-training programmes, but there is none that can compare with this one.

The instructors are wonderful people with amiable human reactions.

I can say without mincing words that I can now change my world, family, students and friends alike for the better.

God bless Mr. L. Ron Hubbard." ~ G.E. College Professor

----------

"I have been a teacher for 25 years and I have taught in all the levels of education from the primary through secondary to tertiary institutions in my country, but I have always thought something was wrong with our achievements - both as teachers and learners.

Why, for instance, would children who come to school looking bright, enthusiastic and ambitious suddenly become sullen and vindictive against society? Why again would a child want to withdraw from school when he knows all the advantages education gives to people? I could not imagine.

Now, I know why. We have been putting all the wrong things into our educational system. It is amazing that anyone successfully passed through the system at all!

Browbeating anyone into learning is no way to teach. Our kids must first know why they are learning (i.e. learning for life) and then want to learn so that the knowledge they acquire can be useful to them and to society. Learning must be achieved 100% - not 99%. In fact, it’s as if we insist on better quality from our industries than we do from our schools.

It is time to change, time to begin to put in place measures that would ensure hundred percent learning." ~ B.A., College Professor

No comments: